Re: Simulating cellular networks in ns

On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 12:27:25 PDT, Ya Xu wrote:
>Current ns snapshot supports basestation and wireless mix mode. See
>ns-2/tcl/test/test-suite-mixmode.tcl
>
>-Ya
>
>On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Brett Vickers wrote:
>
>> I would like to run some simulations of a cellular network using ns-2, but
>> even the latest snapshot (2.1b6, as of today) doesn't seem to support such
>> networks.  All of the wireless code seems to assume a mobile ad-hoc network
>> running DSR or DSDV.  This is inappropriate for my purposes because I only
>> want mobile hosts routing packets through base stations; I don't want them
>> routing through each other.  I'm hoping that maybe I've missed something,
>> and that code for fixed-infrastructure cellular networks *does* exist in
>> ns-2.  But if it doesn't, has anyone hacked the code to address cellular
>> networks?

Ya is pointing you at the closest thing in the current code---mixed
wired and wireless simulations.  However, I'm not sure that this
matches what you mean by "cellular networks".

You are correct in your evaluation of ns---the wireless support thus
far has been focused on ad-hoc networks.  Odds are good that if you
want to do something much different you will need to make changes to
the code.

   -John Heidemann