Re: satellite with ns

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Lahcen Sadiq wrote:

> I would like to simulate MFTP traffic over satellite networks. An MFTP
> packet is to be fragmented into ATM cells before it is sent. The current
> version of ns permits to simulate sat links. On the other hand, there is
> a package for TCP over ATM.
> With all that information, would you please advise how to break MFTP
> packet into ATM cells and send them through a satellite link.

The IP over ATM package is for ns 1, and over satellite networks
you'll need a MAC layer to redress the deficiencies of ATM, bundling
one or two ATM cells into a MAC frame. By the time you'd done that, it
doesn't really look that much like ATM.

I'd start from the satellite node functionality, and fiddle with
MAC/link layer stuff.

L.