RE: A RED problem

Kartik,

It's true that for any one drop, it shouldn't matter if the packet dropped
is at the tail of the queue or elesewhere within the queue.  However, the
choice of which packet to drop will affect later packet transmissions.
Dropping one packet rather than another can cause a flow to backoff that
otherwise wouldn't, thus affecting future packet transmissions and drops.

At least, that's my understanding; although I've never actually played with
the drop_tail_ setting.

Jeremy Ethridge,
Computing Technology Lab,
Nortel Networks.