Help with installation of ns on Windows NT

Hi,

I am a CS grad student at the University of Texas at Dallas. I have been
assigned a project where I need to use ns to do some relatively simple
multiplexing simulations, but I need to generate the traffic from a trace
file.

I have installed the binary executables for Windows, but they don't appear
to be able to read data from a trace file correctly. I believe that I have
traced the problem to the fact that the default mode for opening the trace
file is "text" rather than binary. (This happens in the setup() method in
traffictrace.cc where the fopen() command has "r" for a parameter. I believe
that it should be "rb".)

I have been unable to get the Windows executable version of ns to read the
example-trace file included with ns. Has anyone else seen this problem?

As a result of not being able to read a trace file with the precompiled
executable, I have been trying to make the change to "rb" and build ns from
the source code using Visual C++. After a lot of pain, I believe it has
finally built correctly, but am having problems getting it to run some
simple code from Marc Greis's tutorial.

The following code gives me an error:

set ns [new Simulator]
set nf [open out.nam w]
$ns namtrace-all $nf

Here's the error message:

"unable to dispatch method namtrace-all while executing $ns namtrace-all
$nf"

Can anyone explain this to me? What do I need to do to get ns running?

Thanks in advance your assistance,

John Perry
[email protected]