Re: NS Classroom Instructional Use

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:04:55 CDT, Jeff Donahoo wrote:
>Hi!  I am interested in using NS (and any other network
>simulation/visualization/emulation tools) for classroom instruction.  Anyone
>already doing this who is willing to share?  I have seen Steve McCanne's
>animations for his Computer Network's class at
>http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/cs268-s98/animations.html, but not much
>else.  It seems that the simulation, visualization, and emulation
>capabilities of NS would very effectively lend themselves to classroom
>instruction.

I agree this is an interesting direction.  Recently we've started
doing some animations to demo some networking concepts.  I expect some
will find their way into the next release, although I don't know when
that will be (probably not in time to be counted on for the fall
semester).

(In the process of doing these initial animations I think
we've learned quite a bit out about what works in current ns/nam and
what needs more work.  The true test will of course be when we try
them out in class.)

I'd be interested in hearing from others interesting in using ns/nam
in the classroom.

   -John Heidemann