Re: error message "Random is not portable"

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Mikihiro Ueno wrote:

> I just started learnig ns. Let me ask a basic question.
> I installed ns-allinone-2.1b5 and it was successful.
> But following the tutrial (http://titan.cs.uni-bonn.de/~greis/ns/ns.html),
> I run ns with the file "example1a.tcl" which includes only two nodes and one link,
> and I got an error message;
>
>         % random() called in ns.
>         Random is not portable, please use Random::uniform() instead.
>
> and nam won't be started automatically.
>
> What's wrong???
>
> can anyone help me this problem?

A programmer forgot about cross-platform considerations; one reason
why the snapshots a week after a major release are always a good
bet... It should be fixed in a later snapshot - or you can

grep "random\(\)" *.cc

edit it as suggested, and recompile.

cheers,

L.

Random is not portable?
So, are we talking about the class here, or random() ? Could be clearer.