Why did EU_BIT disappear?

Looking through older versions of errmodel.h, I see that EU_BIT in
version 1.15 was discarded in favor of EU_BYTE in version 1.16--a change
which happened around November 1997 according to the RCS headers.

Why was EU_BIT discarded?  I would think it would still be useful, since
one commonly hears link error rates given as a BER (=Bit Error Rate).

[I have patched errmodel.h (version 1.39) and errmodel.cc (version 1.65)
to support EU_BIT, and can provide the patches to the list if desired.]

--daniel

 Daniel Friedman    [email protected]    http://www.isr.umd.edu/~danielf