RE: Switched Lan Simulation

Hello,

I need to simulate a Switched Lan network.  I will have several
individual nodes connected to some of the switch ports, as well as
some separate Lan networks connected to some of the remaining ports.
Since, I am relatively new to networks, and ns, I was hoping
for some advice, and also some verification that what I think I need
to do makes sense {before I get too deep in trying to implement it}.

I guess my major question/problem is trying to emulate the switch itself.
I am currently guessing {based on some comments that I saw in the
newsgroup archives} that one route would be to go ahead and create a
lan instance with the individual nodes, and also with a special node
that will act as my switch.  I can then {hopefully} change the routing
mechanism to route all packets to that node, which will then send the
packet to the appropriate destination [port].  Is this the right idea,
and/or is there a better way?  If this is a valid solution, then any
hints to coding it {actually determining the routing} would be greatly
appreciated.

I can then include this special routing node as part of my other Lans
{which are also connected to the switch}.

Again, any input/strategy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David Lalla