It is hard to find the relation between different classes and functions!

Hello,
    I have read quite a little about ns programming.
However, until now, I have not known clearly what the internal
operating meachanism of ns-2 is.
    For example, the classifier in node can allocate different packet
in different ports in a node. However, how does it know these ports are
connected with the correct route by which the packet may get to its
desirable destination? What functions connect the operation of
classifier with the routing function. It is really difficult for me to
find the specific relation between these operations like this. I really
hope there are some statement about these operation mechanisms of ns-2.

    Regards,

         Sun Kai