Re: Must use C++ ? OTcl is also enough ?

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:03:38 PDT, Haobo Yu wrote:
>Here is my 1 cent: you use C++ if you want
>- to manipulate packets
>- to do large simulation with memory constraint
>- smaller runtime
>
>- Haobo
>
>(OR you are a C++ fun and hate the hacky ad-hockey otcl.)

Haobo has provided some very good rules of thumb.

I'd add:
	- use OTcl if you can do what you want from existing C++ objects

	- use C++ if you have to change the behavior of an existing
		C++ object

For example, links are OTcl objects that assemble delay, queueing, and
possibly loss modules.  If your experiment can be done with those
pieces, great.  If instead you want do something fancier (a special
queueing dicipline or model of loss), then you'll need a new C++
object.

   -John Heidemann