Re: make depend on NT

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:38:45 PDT, James Scott wrote:
>hi all,
>
>i'm using NS on NT4.0, compiling with MS VC++ 6.0.  at
>first blush, everything seems to be fine.  i can compile and
>run most all of the examples and am able to create and
>edit tcl files to perform various exercises.
>
>however, i've been unable to create a new base class and
>suspect that i'm having problems remaking my depends.
>
>when i do 'nmake /f makefile.vc depend' i get normal
>looking output until the last source file (tkAppInit.cpp)
>is listed, at which point the compiler tells me "too long
>Stop.", indicating that the input line is too long for NT
>to parse (?).
>
>have any other NT users experienced this problem?

Can some Windows developer suggest a work-around for these length
problems?

I know Windows compilers have special ways to work around the problem
(reading arguments from files, etc.).
Eventually whatever changes need to go into bin/gen-vcmake.pl
which makes makefile.vc from the Unix Makefile.
Unfortuantely, the code for this is going to have to be contributed
from a Windows users; our primary development platform is Unix so we
don't have this expertise.

   -John Heidemann