Re: Questions regarding the MAC layer in NS

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 13:45:35 CDT, "Jason Todoroff" wrote:
>I am not a member of the ns mailing list.  I have a few questions regarding
>the MAC layer in NS and I was wondering if someone could answer them.  I am
>trying to develop some example MAC layer visualizations for educational
>purposes.

These are good questions.  Some I've passed on,
but for the easy ones :-) :

>3)   Is there any way to visually show collision on the MAC layer?  For
>instance, changing the color of the packets. Or
>      possibly have the packet fall off like it does in drop tail.  It would
>be nice for someone watching the simulation to
>      see this.

Not currently, although that would be nice.  (We've talked about it,
but it's not very high priority.)

>4)   I have not found any documentation on CSMA or Aloha protocol for the
>MAC layer.   Is there any support?  If not, what
>      exactly would it entail to develop this.   I.E.  Would I need to write
>a new MAC class.  Would I need a new Agent?  Or
>      possibly need a new Channel?  Also,  has anyone in the group written
>these already and could provide some insight?

See the LAN and Mobile Networking sections of ns notes and
documentation.  This area is under fairly active development,
so it might not be completely accurate.

Since this area is evolving, you may want to pick up a recent
snapshot.  Pro:  future integration will be easier.  Con:  it's even
less documented.

   -John Heidemann