Re: Search facility down

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Lloyd Wood wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Brian K. Shiratsuki wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 15:05:45 -0700
> > From: Brian K. Shiratsuki <[email protected]>
> > To: Lloyd Wood <[email protected]>
> > Subject: Re: Search facility down
> >
> > --------
> > > http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/htsearch
> > >
> > > The htdig search function is an extremely useful service when it's
> > > working.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, it's not working.
> >
> > OK, i think this is back up.
>
> Apparently not.
>
> When you search you will be told 1-10 of 725 matches (e.g. searching
> on 'Lloyd'). But the ten links to pages and excerpted text are
> missing.
>
> Below is all that comes out.

[search results template minus actual results, suggesting screwy
 database, deleted]

> If you're not seeing that, try running your browser through a proxy
> cache external to Berkeley...

Okay, the search facility was back up and working well yesterday.

Right now it's reporting 500 Internal Server Error, so it appears to
be down again. I'm presuming from this error that the state of the
database is not the primary problem here...

htdig-3.1.3 released 22 Sep 1999; the 3.1.0 release note says:
    You must rebuild your databases from scratch after updating to
    this version. Several database-related bugs were fixed and will
    remain unless you rebuild from scratch.

hth,

L.