Re: Real TCP packet in NS.

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:04:44 +0200, Nguyen Tuan Hung wrote:
>Hi,
>    I want to know, how I send/receive  real TCP packets with NS. Is it
>possible, if it is true, where is documentation.

If you mean can you send TCP packets from a real world node into the
simulator and get replies, the answer is yes and no.

Yes, the emulator allows sending packets between real world nodes and
simulated nodes.  It is documented in ns notes and docs.

No, the emulator cannot currently source or sink TCP packets from the
real world, it can only transit them.  Allowing ns to source/sink TCP
packets requires writing (1) a transducer to convert between real-world
packets and ns packets, and perhaps (2) enhancing two-way tcp to Do
The Right Things which this new source of packets.

(This is  an interesting project to take on, by the way.)

   -John Heidemann