Re: Node throughput and packet delay

	Ok, then maybe we need a set of basic monitoring functions wich produce
basic output files. What I mean with basic output files is the kind of files
that can be fed in Xgraph for example.

	We would need to know what would be a good set:
	- data that is of general use (like packet delays?)
	- data that is easely collectable, i mean wich does not depend on the
protocols used.
	- functions that are ready-to-use (as much as trace-all for example)

	I think stuff like bandwidth utilisation and packet delays are data
pertinent to a majority of users. But then, that's my very own opinion.

	Tarik.

> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:48:18 +0100 (BST)
> From: Sean Murphy <[email protected]>
> To: Tarik Alj <[email protected]>
> cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Node throughput and packet delay
>
> [Hope I'm not bugging ns-users with my rantings - I think it's useful to
> everyone.]
>
> Tarik,
>
> > 	i agree with you: dumping everything to the tracefile is an easy
> > solution and it takes a lot of space.

> It seems that there are solutions to these problems in the software
> supplied with ns in the form of awk and perl scripts, but it's something I
> never looked into - perhaps I missed something in the documentation.
> However, I still think that it would be better if such functionality was
> more integrated into ns itself, rather than in ancilliary scripts.
>
> This would be good you say (perhaps) - there are lots of things that would
> be good - am I willing to do anything about it? Well, the two types of
> monitoring component that I referred to above are really quite simple to
> implement - I'd be willing to do this - I've already done it, but if it
> was to be put into ns, then I'd need to polish up my stuff a wee bit. The
> key thing would be to produce some documentation/examples, which again I
> could do.
>
> Sean.
> -----
> Sean Murphy,			Email: [email protected]