active networking in ns

>> I have been studying this for a while in the past days, and there
>> are only two things about it:
>>
>> - Although they intended to release this package as a 'generic'
>> extension to ns, in fact it is very focused towards AER, their
>> own active protocol; or at least towards active protocols for
>> multicasting.
>
>The basic Active Network Package is designed to allow multicasting
>in active networks so there is some additional overhead in that respect.

Yes; I guess waht I will have to do at the end is just use
your AN extension package but I will remove everything related
to mcast to keep it as simple as I can.

>> - Also, this solution involves a modified classifier.cc, which
>> I would like to avoid unless I'm forced to use it (same reason
>> as above).
>
>I don't think there is any way around this without modifying classifier.
Since
>all packets released by an agent in a node pass back through that node's
entry
>point, for active networking the entry point must be modified.   If a
packet is
>an active packet that has not been seen by the active agent at that node, it
>should be forwarded to the active agent.  If a packet is an active packet
that
>has been seen by that node's active agent, it should be forwarded to the next
>hop.  We added two fields to packets and modified classifier.cc to allow the
>entry point to make that decision.

Someone suggested here to attach the agent to the queue, instead of
attaching it to the node. It looked like a good idea, but I am just
realizing now that this approach would need a much higher number of
agents (two per link instead of one per node), which wouldn't be a
good thing for a large scale simulation :-(

So I'm afraid that you are right and I cannot avoid having a modified
classifier.cc.

BTW, are you still working with active networks ? I have been
studying you ants-based AER protocol and there are two or
three questions that I would like to ask you, if you have the
time.

Thanks for your reply !

Regards,
G.