Re: Active networking in ns

At 15:56 15/10/99 +0200, you wrote:

>> > next _active_ node, not just the next node; that is, if I had:
>> >
>> > n1(src) ---- n2 ---- n3 ---- n4(dst)
>> >
>> > and all the nodes were active except for n3, to send an active
>> > packet from n1 to n4 I should do n1-n2-n4, skipping n3...

[...]
>Another solution would be to compute all the
>routes from start.

This might be costly in large simulations.

>> > I guess that the easiest way to do this actually involves having
>> > a modified classifier, just like what PANAMA's AN pkg does.
>
>This is certainly more efficient. However, it makes the AN platform
dependent on IP
>routing, which is not the case of really generic ("hard") AN.

I don't see why: after all, if you want to do full-custom routing,
you can just change the destination node in each active agent,
so instead of relying in IP routing from src to dst you will
be explictly specifying the route in a hop-by-hop basis.

If you don't handle routing in your active agents, then IP routing
is used as default, which is not a bad thing, given the fact that
in the majority of the cases you will be working in hybrid networks
in which not all nodes are active.

>In my case I wanted
>to have something as generic as possible, so I opted for a less efficient
but more
>flexible implementation.

But what is the difference? You also rely on IP routing to get from
one active agent to the next one...

Regards,
G.
--