Re: Active networking in ns

> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 21:10:42 +0200
> To: [email protected]
> From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Active networking in ns
>
> At 14:07 14/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >> [active networking in ns]

> >Without modifying a classifier it could be possible to have a filter
> object that
> >would do the checking and send the packet to AN processor if necessary.
> Place
> >the filter between the classifier and the node so that every packet received
> >could be checked.
>
> This is also similar to what the PANAMA's AN package does: they
> have a classifier-switch which then is connected to the 'standard'
> classifier and to one classifier-an (for active packets). Standard,
> regular packets are forwarded to the 'standard' classifier while
> active packets are forwarded to the classifier-an object.
>
> But this approach also involves modifiying classifier.cc, so that
> the first object found in the node is classifier-switch instead
> of classifier.

You could install the classifier-switch in the adress's classifier slots. I
don't think it implies modifying ns internals very much. Basically you are
inserting an object, that implies modifying the targets a bit (putting the
filter in the classifier's slots and stting the filter's target to be the link's
head).

>From what i have understood of what you wich to implement, i would have put the
filter in between the node and the classifier, so that packets that need
processing can be send to the processor and the other packets send to the
classifier wich puts them on the link.

I don't know what is to happen to packets out of the AN processor but i guess
you could send them to the classifier so they can be put on the link.

> Is this what you suggested - or am I missing something ? Can I
> put the 'filter object' you mention above between the node and
> the classifier without modifying ns internals ?
>
> Regards,
> G.
>
> --
> Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia