Installation problem: ns-allinone-2.1b5

Dear NS 2 users,

I attempted to download and install ns-allinone-2.1b5
but got the following error message during the install.

---------------------
checking whether char is unsigned... configure: error:
can not run test program while cross compiling tcl8.0.4
configuration failed! Exiting ...
---------------------

The "installation problems" URL for 2.1b5 mentions that
this is because I "..have a gcc installation problem on
[my] computer".

I have gcc 2.8.1 installed on my SunOS 5.5.1 machine
and can successfully compile and link some of my other
C/C++ programs. What specifically is the "gcc installation
problem"?

-Alfred Jones

Director, MIL 3 Laboratory
MIL 3, Inc.