PC Hardware Recs

I am about to start using ns2 for various IP simulations.  Before
starting, I need to purchase a computer.  For various reasons, I am
planning on running ns2 on a pc, mostly likely under Windows NT (or
possibly linux, however that would be a whole separate learning curve
I'd rather avoid).

My question now goes to suggestions on hardware.  Specifically, I've
seen several suggestion to buy as much memory as possible.  However,
how should I balance this priority vs. other parts?  For example, a 64
MB of PC-100 memory runs $170.  128 MB is then $340 and 256 MB is $680.
 Alternatively, the difference between an IDE Hard Disk (HD) and a SCSI
HD is (for 9GB) about $200.  What would contribute more to performance
on ns2 simulations, an 64 MB of memory or a SCSI HD?

Continuing this thread, I tend to prefer AMD's CPUs to Intels, mostly
due to cost.  Going from a 450 MHz chip to a 600 MHz chip is around
$400. Should I spend this money instead of memory or SCSI?

Any thoughts or experiences are most appreciated.  Please forgive this
off-topic post.

Ken

=====