Re: A Network Simlutor

hi hara,

> I am a graduate student interested in working in the area of Wavelength
> Routing in DWDM/WDM. Is there a network simulator which will help me study
> the benefits of wavelength converion/sparse wavelength conversion in a
> wavelength routed network. I am new to NS but willing to learn any new
> stuff.

i've followed up to the list in case there might be a general interest in
this
application of ns.  apologies to any who don't find this to be of interest.
follow-ups, if necessary, to [email protected].

you could certainly use ns to model your new routing protocol.  as for
getting down into the details of your transport framing and physical
device characteristics, you'd need to look into something like optsim.
an interesting approach might be to develop an ns model of your routing
protocol (and perhaps your pkt framing method) in ns and model the
FSMs which characterize your optical layer device using an optical
simulation tool that has a cosimulation api.  this would allow you to
develop the routing protocol model very quickly and access the numerous
traffic generators in ns to stimulate the entire system.

good luck!

cheers,

james