Question about makefile

hi all,

I have several questions about ns.
(a) when I run make ns and I get the following message
    make: *** warning - clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete.

What does this message mean?

(b) I keep 2 versions of ns source code, one in the base directory, and one in my working directory, where I store any modifications to existing code. For example, I have a new version of mac.h and mac.cc in my directory. When I tried to add a new field to mac.h and access it from mac.cc, when I compile, it always says that the field is not accessible by mac.cc.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Regards
Hwee Pink