Re: use of fid_ with http

Thanks for your fast answer.

I thought id_ (from Node) was used for this purp. That's what the code appears
to do:

http-agent.tcl: Http intsproc init { ns node } {... $self set id_ [$node_ id]
...} .

>From the code in http-agent.tcl, http-server.tcl, http-client.tcl,
http-cache.tcl, I found out that fid_ was only used with Htpp:getfid in
Http::connect and http/Server::alloc-connection.

So I've overrided Http::getfid so as to always set fid_ = 0. It seems to work
fine for what I need (bursty, exponential traffic).

Now I would like to know if what I've done can have a *desastrous* impact on the
traffic, if I can reasonnably use it; or if I should switch to
large-scale-web-traffic.tcl.

> Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:16:08 -0800 (PST)
> From: Haobo Yu <[email protected]>
> To: Tarik Alj <[email protected]>
> cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: use of fid_ with http
>
> It's used to identify which node the server/client/cache resides on. If
> you want web traffic only, you can use WebTraf which does not require the
> server/client/cache stuff. See tcl/ex/large-scale-web-traffic.tcl for an
> example.
>
> - Haobo
>
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Tarik Alj wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > 	I've been using the http application (based on code of
> > simple-webcache.tcl) and I would like to know what use is made of the fid_
by
> > the http modules? (I have been using the fid_ values in my own code and
> > obviously it's interfering with http). Is there a way to simulate web
traffic
> > with fid_ set to 0?
> >
> > 	Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Tarik