Random variables question

Hi there,

I was trying to set a simulation where several CBR sources (video_1, etc.)
start at random times, within a specified time interval (say [0.5, 1.0]).
Following ns-2 notes & documentation, I thought defining a random variable
$u by

set u [new RandomVariable/Uniform]
$u set min_ 0.5
$u set max_ 1.0
$u value

which would be then invoked with likes of

$ns at $u "$video_1 start"
$ns at 10 "$video_1 stop"

etc.

But what is actually happening is that all these sources then
start at exactly 0.0, obviously a default.

Trying to see the value $u itself, by placing

puts $u

results only in symbol  _o13  .

I am obviously missing something here.  Could anyone please help?

Thank you.

Miroslav

Dr. Miroslav I. Klun
Network Infrastructure Laboratory