NS Simulation integration

Hello,

I am looking for some help with NS.  I would like to use NS to generate
traffic for a current custom simulation.  The configuration will look
something like the following:
   ____            ____            ____
  /    \          /    \          /    \
 /TCP/IP\________/ OUR  \________/TCP/IP\
 \Client/  SLIP  \ SIM  /  SLIP  \SERVER/
  \____/          \____/          \____/
   NS						NS

Our simulator is a custom buit piece of code here that uses actual
proprietary data link protocols and delivers TCP/IP packets between two wire
stubs, as follows:

(Note that this graphic is not the representation of an NS model.)
   ____            _____            ____
  /    \          /END  \          /    \
 / WIRE \________/2 END  \________/ WIRE \
 \ STUB / STREAM \DLL SIM/ STREAM \ STUB /
  \____/          \_____/          \____/

The code in OUR SIM is to all be compiled externally so the actual code
implementation can be used.  This way, if the modifications of any code
occurs, it can be recompiled and tested directly within the NS simulation.

I have been trying to implement this using NS.  It looks as if I will have
to create a new node type that implements the network.  This looks like a
huge task in and of itself because I am not familiar with the internals of
NS or C++ code.  Basically, I need a node that can deliver packets to our
simulator.

Also, there is a timing issue.  Is it possible to sync the sim clock with
the clock executing the external code?  Is it possible to dynamically change
how much simulation time the external code consumes?  Can the code for our
simulation be sync'ed with NS time without altering the code (too much) ?

I would appreciate any response.

Thanks,
Larry Foore
Tantivy Communications, Inc.