RE: NS versus OPNET Modeler

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Xin Wang wrote:

> Opnet also provides RIP and  OSPF routing, as well multicast routing
> recently.

The multicast protocol functionality is not part of the standard
package, and must be purchased separately. (I don't think it's
available as part of their educational scheme.) See:

http://www.mil3.com/products/library/specialized.html

and note on:

http://www.mil3.com/products/library/

Still, it claims to be an implementation of PIM-SM. (they're a bit
keen on stressing that 'Study the benefits of using multicast versus
unicast data transfer technologies'.)

> It is a more powerful simulation tool, the code is
> well organized and the tool is good for demo.
> But it has a bigger learning curve as trade-off.

and Opnet 6.0's interface is completely different to those of previous
versions (grey browser-like look too); the satellite stuff has been
hived off and now you must generate orbital models in STK and
import them... Whole new learning curve.

As a generalisation, Opnet's strengths lie lower in the
network stack, but it's been working its way up. ns has been doing
the reverse, fleshing out its structure downwards. The differences in
engineering design/research focus emphasis should be noted, too.

L.

mind you, we've never had problems with our ns licence server.
big ns plus.