project length assessment

Hi everybody,

I unexpectedly have to fiddle with some ns code,
(aodv.{cc,h,...} in fact so far), and so I have 3 questions:

*How long do you think it should take for a guy with 2 months worth of C
experience, on a PC running linux redHat 5.1 and with emacs as his unique
development tool, to understand aodv.cc and crop it wisely so that it do
nothing but a simple hello message based neighbor disovery,assuming that
he works full-time on it?

*Could you advise me a free C++ development environment, for linux, and
tell me where I could download it?

*How could I tell to my computer:"Rebuild ns but do it quickly I just
changed one line in aodv.cc since last time."?

Thanks,

--
Robin POSS