Intel Solaris 5.7 validation

Dear Colleagues,

I have successfully installed ns-allinone-2.1b6 (released 18-Jan-2000)
on an Intel-based pentium PC running Solaris 5.7 and NS runs
fine.

However, during the validation phase the output of some of the
tests in the following test-suites were different from the reference
outputs:

	webcache	energy			mcache
	wireless-lan	wireless-gridkeeper	wireless-lan-newnode
	WLtutorial	wireless-lan-aodv

I will be very thankful if someone can answer any of the
following questions for me:

1. When are/aren't the failed validation tests significant?
   If the failed tests are part of those facilities of
   the NS simulator that I am not using, then does that
   mean that I can assume there is nothing wrong with
   the simulator and just use it?! Specifically, I want
   to use NS to study buffer management and in particular
   RED and I might even wright my own "Buffer Management"
   algorithm. Can I just ignore the failed validattion tests?

2. Has anyone installed NS on Solaris running on Intel?!
   Have they had a similar problem?!

3. How can I figure out whether the problem is caused
   because of "improper installation (ie. libraries,
   compiler [options], make, etc)" or because of bugs
   in NS?!

4. Can this be because of floating-point arithmetic?

I also tried downloading the current daily snapshot and
compiling it and validating it on February 1, 2000 and
I got the same result.

I have included detailed information as to the OS,
COMPILER, and MAKE facilities that I used and the
list of the error messages below if you would like
to look at.

I will be very thankful if you can give me some advice

ramin

The OS specification is:

> uname -a
> SunOS desdemona 5.7 Generic i86pc i386 i86pc

I used the following version of gcc compiler:

> gcc -v
> Reading specs from
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.7/2.95.2/specs
> gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

and the following version of gnu make:

> make -v
> GNU Make version 3.77, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
> Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98

The failed tests were from the following test suites:

webcache
wireless-lan
energy
wireless-gridkeeper
mcache
wireless-lan-newnode
wireless-lan-aodv
WLtutorial

and specifically the failed tests include:

SUITE: webcache
../../ns test-suite-webcache.tcl Mcast-PBtr QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

../../ns test-suite-webcache.tcl Mcast-PBPtr QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

../../ns test-suite-webcache.tcl Mcast-PBUtr QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

../../ns test-suite-webcache.tcl ttl-PBtr QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

../../ns test-suite-webcache.tcl ottl-PBtr QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

SUITE: wireless-lan
../../ns test-suite-wireless-lan.tcl dsdv QUIET
Load complete...
Starting Simulation...
NS EXITING...
finishing..
Test output differs from reference output

../../ns test-suite-wireless-lan.tcl dsr QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

../../ns test-suite-wireless-lan.tcl dsdv-wired-cum-wireless QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

../../ns test-suite-wireless-lan.tcl dsdv-wireless-mip QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

SUITE: energy
../../ns test-suite-energy.tcl dsr QUIET
Load complete...
NS EXITING...
DEBUG: node 2 dropping pkts due to energy = 0
Test output differs from reference output

SUITE: wireless-gridkeeper
../../ns test-suite-wireless-gridkeeper.tcl dsdv QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

SUITE: mcache
../../ns test-suite-mcache.tcl media4 QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

SUITE: wireless-lan-newnode
../../ns test-suite-wireless-lan-newnode.tcl dsdv QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

../../ns test-suite-wireless-lan-newnode.tcl dsr QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

../../ns test-suite-wireless-lan-newnode.tcl dsdv-wired-cum-wireless QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

../../ns test-suite-wireless-lan-newnode.tcl dsdv-wireless-mip QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

SUITE: wireless-lan-aodv
../../ns test-suite-wireless-lan-aodv.tcl aodv QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

SUITE: WLtutorial
../../ns test-suite-WLtutorial.tcl wireless1 QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

../../ns test-suite-WLtutorial.tcl wireless2 QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

../../ns test-suite-WLtutorial.tcl wireless3 QUIET
Test output differs from reference output

	RAMIN NIKAEEN
	Network Architecture Laboratory (NAL)
	University of Toronto
	Toronto, Ontario, Canada