Re: Newbie question: Running ns after installation fails

Some times this problem is caused by renaming your ns directory or
moving it.  If you have done either one of the two, you need to either
recreate the old directory or reinstall the entire pacakge.

Nader

>>> "Michael" == Michael Wolf <[email protected]> writes:

Michael> Hello,

Michael> I'm doing my first steps in using ns.  After a successful
Michael> installation of ns2b1.all-inone on Solaris 2.6 (the messages
Michael> indicated it after the installation process) I tried to run
Michael> ns: I get a lot of output seeming that something is wrong
Michael> with perl and/or tcl/tk:

Michael> ns:

Michael> proc warn {msg} { global warned_ if {![info exists
Michael> warned_($msg)]} { puts stderr "warning: $msg" set
Michael> warned_($msg) 1 } }

Michael> if {[info commands debug] == ""} { proc debug args { warn
Michael> {Script debugging disabled.  Reconfigure with
Michael> --with-tcldebug, and recompile.}  } }

Michael> proc assert args { if [catch "expr $args" ret] { set ret
Michael> [eval $args] } if {! $ret} { error "assertion failed: $args"
Michael> } }

Michael> proc find-max list { set max 0 foreach val $list { if {$val >
Michael> $max} { set max $val } } return $max }

Michael> Class Simulator

Michael> proc checkout_executable {exe_var best alternate text} {
Michael> global $exe_var set $exe_var $best if {![file executable
Michael> $best]} { puts stderr $text set $exe_var $alternate } }

Michael> checkout_executable PERL perl " When configured, ns found the
Michael> right version of perl in but it doesn't seem to be there
Michael> anymore, so ns will fall back on running the first perl in
Michael> your path. The wrong version of perl may break the test
Michael> suites.  Reconfigure and rebuild ns if this is a problem. "
Michael> checkout_executable TCLSH
Michael> /home/funk/ns/ns-allinone-2.1b6/tclbox/bin/tclsh8.0 tclsh "
Michael> When configured, ns found the right version of tclsh in
Michael> /home/funk/ns/ns-allinone-2.1b6/tclbox/bin/tclsh8.0 but it
Michael> doesn't seem to be there anymore, so ns will fall back on
Michael> running the first tclsh in your path. The wrong version of
Michael> tclsh may break the test suites.  Reconfigure and rebuild ns
Michael> if this is a problem. "

Michael> etc.....

Michael> First I hadn't set the PERL and TCLSH since it wasn't
Michael> mentioned in the README.  I set PERL and TCLSH variable
Michael> according to the locations (perl was installed before under
Michael> /usr/local/bin (perl 5.0)) where they are located but got the
Michael> same behaviour....

Michael> nam is working (at least I get a window...)

Michael> I assume it is a known matter...

Michael> Thanks

Michael> Michael