Re: NS doesn't write CBR and rtProtoDV events in the same simulation

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, ctc wrote:

> 	When I executed the example3.tcl script from the NS tutorial for
> demonstrating dynamic routing, I found that the CBR source events were not
> written to the NAM trace file. What NAM can visualize is just the routing
> messages by the protocol 'rtProtoDV'.
>
> 	After I commented out the '$ns rtProto DV' line in the script, the CBR
> events appeared again and I could see the CBR source in NAM. Of course, no
> dynamic routing was done.
>
> 	Could anyone give me some clues so that I can visualize 'rtProtoDV' and
> 'CBR' at the same time? I have tried this script in ns-2.1b5 without any
> problem. Now, I am using ns-2.1b6.

DV routing is broken in ns 2.1b6, and has been for some time before
that; it broke between snapshots of 9 September and 4 November 1999.

DV routing is the 'snoop' of ns 2.1b6. Actually, no; _snoop_ is the
'snoop' of ns 2.1b?, and this is _another_ _new_ snoop.

See:

http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/dist/archive/ns-users/9912/0039.html

and thread. Guo Liang claims to have fixed this for himself, but I was
unable to duplicate his fixes to provide a patch. I think DV routing
needs both fixing and a validation test; it is, after all, the only
full implementation of a routing protocol included in the
distribution.

L.

eventually, everything will change and break in ns - except TCP.