[ns] HELP!!

Hi every1,

I'm new to NS and tried installing it from the all-in-one package. The install
script ran fine (atleast it didn't pop any error messages) and all the
components got installed. Now when I try to run a simple test script (the very
first one in Marc Greis' tutorial), I get the following error message:
: no value given for parameter "text" to "checkout_executable"
    while executing
"checkout_executable PERL  perl "\
When configured, ns found the right version of perl in\

but it doesn't seem to be there anymore, so\
ns will fall b..."
This message is preceeded by a lot of screens scrolling.
I tried to run "validate" after I finished installing, but it kept running for
more than 45 minutes. Thinking that it's gone into a loop, I aborted midway.

I would like to know whether I have stuff installed properly, or do u guys feel
that its giving problems coz the installation process was not terminated in a
proper fashion.

What's a sure fire way to check whether I have NS installed correctly?

Would appreciate ur comments/suggestions

Thanks,
Ishan.