Re: [ns] finding ns papers

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, John Heidemann wrote:

> >http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns/ns-research.html
> >
> >Kevin Fall's 'Network Emulation in the Vint/NS Simulator' paper is no
> >longer available from the indicated link of:
> >http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~kfall/ns-em-paper.ps
> >
> >It appears to be:
> >http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~kfall/papers/iscc99.ps
> >
> >Can someone please
> >a) fix the link

And when someone gets around to fixing that, please also make the
following link corrections:

  Bikram Bakshi, Krishna, P., Pradhan, D.K., and Vaidya, N.H.
  (Texas A&M University)
  Performance of TCP over Wireless Networks ,
  17th Intl. Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS),
  Baltimore, May, 1997.

fix
http://www.cs.tamu.edu/faculty/vaidya/papers/mobile-computing/TCP_paper.ps.Z
http://www.cs.tamu.edu/faculty/vaidya/Vaidya-mobile.html

(okay, the postscript's no longer compressed, but .html pages are
often more permanent than non-html objects. Honestly, linking to
objects direct rather than to the pages referencing those objects
is considered less polite, but more importantly leads to more
maintenance work in the long run and less discovery, and I'm sure
e.g. Sally will eventually agree wrt maintaining her field-of-research
pages...)

  Philippe Oechslin, Jon Crowcroft.
  Differentiated End to End Internet Services using a Weighted
  Proportional Fair Sharing TCP
  This paper has been submitted to ACM CCR.

current link is now .ps.gz,
and in any case the final version is at:
http://www.acm.org/sigs/sigcomm/ccr/archive/1998/jul98/ccr-9807-crowcroft.html

  D. Clark, W. Fang, "Explicit Allocation of Best Effort Packet
  Delivery Service", ACM Transactions on Networking, August, 1998.

can be downloaded from
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/%7Ewfang/papers.html

  Varadhan, K., Estrin, D., and Floyd, S.
  Impact of Network Dynamics on End-to-End Protocols: Case Studies
  in Reliable Multicast , ( Abstract )
  IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications, July 1998.
  Athens, Greece.

ISI retired Kannan's account at speed; ftp://usc.edu/
is empty, and URLs given on page below should be to ftp.usc.edu/
http://www.usc.edu/dept/cs/technical_reports.html
is a better link for the tech report.
download the final paper from:
http://www.bell-labs.com/user/kvaradhan/

  Isidor Kouvelas, Vicky Hardman and Jon Crowcroft
  Network Adaptive Continuous-Media Applications Through Self
  Organised Transcoding
  This paper has been submitted to NOSDAV '98.

Kouvelas has left UCL.
http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/publications/
has the paper for download.

  Lorenzo Vicisano, Luigi Rizzo (Pisa) and Jon Crowcroft.
  TCP-like Congestion Control for Layered Multicast Data Transfer.
  This paper has been accepted for INFOCOM '98.

http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/publications/
has the paper for download.

> >b) consider archiving copies of research material about/concerning ns
> >   on the mash server itself?
> >
> >You just can't rely on other people to implement redirects when they
> >arbitrarily move stuff.
>
> This would be nice, but it adds one more step to what has to be done
> to add papers into the ns-research page.  I think it's more important
> to keep it realitvely low-effort to add things to that page than to
> cache everything locally

running a link checker every so often and doing maintenance wouldn't
hurt; linking to pages linking to objects decreases the maintenance
and allows easy discovery of related work.

> Wrt papers, one can always trace back the reference to the physical
> proceedings, e-mail the author, or (he hesitates to say) post to
> ns-users if the first two fail.

Well, I'm posting the changes to be made to save the effort.

L.

A post in time saves nine.