[ns] What topology to use? (ARPAnet?)

Hi all,

I would like to use ns-2 to simulate the behaviour of a protocol
on the Internet. I need a realistic Internet behaviour (traffic,
topology, etc.). I have come across various papers on traffic
modelling and topology creation for simulation, but now I wonder
how to choose the best (generally most accepted or likely to
be accepted by IETF members) method.

Some papers mention that the ARPAnet backbone topology is frequently
used. How do I get this data? I just can't seem to find it.
And once I have the topology, what should I do? Let all edge notes
create Pareto distributed traffic?

Kind regards,
Michael Welzl