Re: [ns] Where to go from here?

> Hi there,
>    I am doing Ph.D. research on quality of service
> (qos) and admission control algorithm. I already
> downloaded the ns on my machine which has Linux. I
> have the following questions.
>    1. Is ns the right tool to do simulation for qos
> purpose?

Yes. IntServ/RSVP and DiffServ modules/patches are included or can be added to
the distribution.

>    2. If it is the case. I have my own packet
> scheduling discipline and admission control criteria.
> How can I start modifying ns to reflect
> to my model? Or what is the best way to start doing
> something to get the feeling how ns works?

Marc Greiss's tutorial is now a classic start...

If you need to modify ns you should understand ns internals wich means reading
the manual and browsing the code.

For admission control you should check ns's IntServ :

tcl/lib/ns-intserv.tcl
*-adc.h/cc

also :

the diffserv patch by Sean Murphy

There are many schedulers available: from cbq to wfq.