[ns] ns installed correctly but couldn't be run, need help!

i just installed ns-2.1b6 allinone on Linux 2.0.36. It telled me install
was successful. But whatever tcl script i run, it just prints pages of
source code like this:
-------------------------------------
	ns:

proc warn {msg} {
global warned_
if {![info exists warned_($msg)]} {
puts stderr "warning: $msg"
set warned_($msg) 1
}
}

if {[info commands debug] == ""} {
proc debug args {
warn {Script debugging disabled.  Reconfigure with --with-tcldebug, and

.
.
.

(finally it says:)

: no value given for parameter "text" to "checkout_executable"
    while executing
"checkout_executable PERL  perl "\
When configured, ns found the right version of perl in\

but it doesn't seem to be there anymore, so\
ns will fall b..."

could any one tell me how to fix it? (i'm using perl 5.004_04)
thanks!!!

zhou