[ns] Help : Is TCP newack() subroutine correct ?

I read the newack() subroutine of tcp.cc. I discover that the timer is
canceled or re-scheduled (by newtimer() subroutine) before the
retranmission timeout is re-evaluated. Should the sequence be reversed,
i.e. the retransmission timeout should be re-calculated and then the
retransmission timer can be re-scheduled (In fact, this is also the
sequence in the book TCP/IP Illustrated Vol. 2) ?

However, since the subroutine has been there for a while, I suppose I
may be correct. Hence, have I missed anything ?

Please help clarify.

Regards
Estella Tsang