[ns] Integrating PLM into the ns distribution

Hello Ns Team members,
I would like to integrate my ns scripts simulating the PLM protocol
within ns.
I provide all the points Haobo asked for.

You can download the  plm-v1.tar.gz file at:
http://www.eurecom.fr/~legout/Research/plm.html

This file contains all the files needed to install plm within ns,
an installation procedure (INSTALL_PLM),
a validation test (validate_plm.tcl) and a reference for this validation
test(validate_plm.tr.ref.gz),
a documentation that can be integrated within the ns manual (moreover,
all the files are commented)

I sucessfully install PLM within the latest daily snapshot (the ns
validation
test suite was ok).

Please, let me know if you have any problems, if you need something else
to integrate PLM into ns, etc.

All your comments are welcomes.

Regards,
Arnaud.

What is PLM:
Please refer to:
A. Legout, and E. W. Biersack.
PLM: Fast Convergence for Cumulative Layered Multicast Transmission
Schemes.
In Proceedings of ACM SIGMETRICS'2000, Santa Clara, California, USA,
June 2000.
http://www.eurecom.fr/~legout/Research/research.html

abstract
A major challenge in the Internet is to deliver live audio/video content
with a
good quality and to transfer files to large number of heterogeneous
receivers. Multic
ast
 and
cumulative layered transmission are two mechanisms of interest to
accomplish this
task efficiently. However, protocols using these mechanisms suffer from
slow
convergence time, lack of inter-protocol fairness or TCP-fairness, and
loss induced by the join experiments.

In this paper we define and investigate the properties of a new
multicast
congestion control protocol (called PLM) for
audio/video and file transfer applications  based on a cumulative
layered multicast
transmission. A fundamental contribution of this paper is the
introduction and
evaluation of a {\it new} and {\it efficient} technique based on packet
pair
to infer which layers to join. We evaluated PLM for a large variety of
scenarios
and show that it converges fast to the optimal link utilization, induces
no loss
to track the available bandwidth, has inter-protocol fairness and
TCP-fairness, and
scales with the number of receivers and the number of sessions.
Moreover, all
these properties hold in self similar and multifractal environment.

> Haobo Yu wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> > >
> > > We support two methods to advertise your contributed code for ns:
> > >
> > > First, we need the following in order to add a pointer to your
> > > code in the ns contributed code web page
> > > (http://mash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns/ns-contributed.html):
> > >
> > > (1) which version of ns was the code written for;
> > > (2) a pointer to C/C++/OTcl code as well as simulation scripts on
> > >     your web server;
> > >
> > > and hopefully also:
> > >
> > > (3) a simple README explaining special setups needed to run the
> > >     simulations or tests.
> > > (4) an example script illustrating the use of your protocol.
> > >
> > > Second, we're also happy to work with developers to integrate their
> > > code into the ns distribution.  To do this, we need (in addition
> > > to 1-4 above):
> > >
> > > (5) code which works with the most recently released version of ns
> > > (6) a test script exercising most important points of your protocol
> > >     (see the sample tests in tcl/test of the ns directory)
> > > (7) documentation comparable to the Agent/SRM chapter of ``ns notes
> > >     and documentation''
> > >
> > > (We realize that 5-7 are more work than simply 1-4.  Without a test
> > > suite we cannot insure that your code will work in future ns releases;
> > > without documentation your code won't be very useful to others.  The
> > > advantage is that with these it will be much easier for other
> > > researchers to build on your hard work.)
> > >
> > > Please send your pointers to the ns-users mailing list
> > > ([email protected]). Suggestions and
> > > comments are also welcome.
> > >
> > > - The ns Team
Arnaud Legout

Institut Eurecom               	Phone : 00.33.4.93.00.26.61
2229, route des Cretes         	Fax   : 00.33.4.93.00.26.27
BP 193                         	E-mail: [email protected]
06904 Sophia Antipolis cedex    Web   : http://www.eurecom.fr/~legout
FRANCE