[ns] UMTS - GPRS simulation

Hi to all,
I'm an italian student in telecomunication engineering at Politecnico of
Turin; I'm working on my thesys about GPRS and UMTS simulation; I would to
know if anyone has tried to simulate these wireless systems.
Particularly I'm deciding if the use of NS is suitable for this kind of
simulation (at thr same time synchronous + event driven) or if it is better
implementing enterely a new simulator in c++.
Any suggestion or comment will be very usefull.

Thanks a lot.

Alberto Bona