From: Nader Salehi <[email protected]>
To: Petra E. J. Napitu <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 8:27 PM
Subject: Re: Can I do this ... ?

> Bona,
>
>     Petra> Dear Nader,
>
>     Petra> I have read thoroughly Chapter11 and the presently
>     Petra> hotly-discussed Mark Gweiss 'ping' tutorial example and I
>     Petra> came into one idea of modifying the Queue Class to include
>     Petra> functions: allocpkt() and initpkt() (these are the
>     Petra> protected-member functions in Agent Class).
>
>     Petra> I notice that so far, the Queue Class do not generate
>     Petra> packet; only Agents generate packets. In my scenario, I
>     Petra> need RED (derived class from Queue) that can generate
>     Petra> packet in addition to marking or dropping packet.
>
> That's correct; Only agent generates packet.  I don't know much about
> your experiment.  Why do you want to generate another packet?  Can you
> duplicate the same packet and somehow modify it, i.e., change the
> source and destination and send it out?

I want to try your suggestion here (assuming that I cannot generate packets
from a Queue Object).
1. How do I read the source and destination from the TCP pakcet? (after
reading, I'm still in the dark)
2. How do I send it out? Just by changing the destination address with the
source address? (Would the queue understand that I am sending in a REVERSE
direction--back to the SOURCE?)

I want to generate packet because I am using it as a congestion indicator
(network feedback)