Re: [ns] Assignment of flowid

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Antonello wrote:

> I'm writing a C code to extract some information from trace file (especially
> per-packet queueing delay).

C would be my close-to-last choice to do this in. Just above java,
fortran, cobol, PL/1 and 6502 assembly language. Parsing a textfile
containing textstrings with a language that doesn't have an innate
understanding of textstrings? No thanks.

I'd suggest using awk, or even perl.

> I want to separate this information on the basis
> of their flow_id.
> 1. How can I assign a flow_id to a flow?

In Tcl, it would be:
$source0 set fid_ 0

where $source0 is your UDP agent or whatever; that then shows up in
the tracefile fid field.

> 2. Anyone knows a simpler way to calculate per-packet delay? Someone
> suggested me to use AWK but I don't know very well it, and I think it would
> be necessary a complex script to do this.

been there, done that, even posted the script. Read:

http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/dist/archive/ns-users/9907/0350.html

L.