Re: [ns] NS used for other purposes ?

>if you're talking about parallel computing , maybe you want to take a
>look at http://www.cc.gatech.edu/computing/compass/pdns/index.html

That's about how to parallize the simulator,
but it sounds like the original question was how to simulation
an algorithm that was sequential and now is paralleized.

Ns doesn't really simulate parallel or sequential CPU overheads
currently.  If this is what you want to do, Prasad, ns doesn't support
it currently.

However, to the extent that one can model a CPU as just a queue with a
delay, it should be fairly easy to add support to this to ns (it's
just like a link in ns).  This may be enough for simple things (say,
if the CPU costs are small and fixed.)

In general, a CPU is not just a FCFS queue with a delay, though, since
jobs are interruptable and prioiritizable.  Building a queue that has
these properties in ns is possible but more difficult.
(There's also a CPU overhead to sending packets.)

If anyone uses ns to simulate CPU overheads, I'd love to hear about
it.

   -John