Re: [ns] Mobile Nodes and 802.11 LANs

>Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:24:28 +0200 (MEST)
>From: Lucas Barriere <[email protected]>
>To: Tarik Alj <[email protected]>
>cc: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: [ns] Mobile Nodes and 802.11 LANs
ozias.inrs-telecom.uquebec.ca id EAA25284

>On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Tarik Alj wrote:
>
>> Take a look at what newLan does: call LanNode init and calls to AddNode. If
the
>> problem only comes from the fact that LanNode borrows an id_ from Node you
might
>> be able to overide it.
>
>The problem is not in the making of the lan (wireless or not) but in
>routing functions. As
>mobile nodes doesn't appear in the Node_ array, I get fatal errors in
>basic functions like compute-routes because of get-node-by-id.
>Therefore, shoud I:
>- modify ns-lib.tcl so that mobile nodes appear in Node_,

You could try that and see what sort of impact it has (frankly I don't know but
I don't see how could it be so bad)

>- modify ns-routes.tcl so that routing functions doesn't care about those
>nodes.

No, I don't think it is a good idea since you mobile nodes will be *invisible*
for the nodes on the LAN. I guess it would be more dangerous than the first
solution.

>As I don't understand very well how hierarchical routing works, I
>don't know which solution is the best.

I don't understand why should hierarchical routing be used? Is this part of the
wireless stuff? or is it a personnal choice? Anyways both use a RouteLogic so
you want all your nodes to appear in that, otherwise there won't be routes to
some nodes.

>--
>Lucas Barri�re
>
>[email protected]
>http://aemiaif.lip6.fr/etudiants/lucas
>UNIX is user-friendly. it's just selective about who its friends are.

Tarik Alj

INRS-Telecommunications
Place Bonaventure
900 De La Gauchetierre Ouest