[ns] Specifying arbitrary node addresses

Hi,

I want to be able to specify arbitrary addresses for nodes in my
simulation. Ideally, I would like to be able to specify proper 32-bit IP
addresses for the nodes.

I had a look at hierarchical addressing, but I'm quite sure that this
carries hierarchical routing baggage with it. Can someone confirm
this? Afaik, this then imposes constraints on the addresses chosen for the
nodes. This is not what I want. Is it possible to decouple hierarchical
addressing from hierarchical routing?

Also, it seems that hierarchical addressing has not been updated to take
the 'new' implementation of addressing into account: specifically, the
'new' addressing supports 32-bit addresses, but I think that the
hierarchical addressing implemented in ns still only supports three dot
separated address fields.

Why do I want to do this? I want to simulate a small network of VPNs
implemented using diffserv SLAs. This requires traffic conditioners to
condition the traffic entering the diffserv network. It would be nice if
all the nodes pumping traffic into a particular SLA could match some
wild-carded IP address for conditioning purposes.

Any pointers/hints greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Sean.

-----