Re: [ns] Huge amount of traffic in simulation?

>Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:28:47 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Bo  Wen <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: [ns] Huge amount of traffic in simulation?
>

>I have some problems with the huge amount of random traffics simulation.
>
>For a 50 nodes backbone simulation, every node(with agents) needs to
>produce a huge amount of random (or possion distri.) traffics to random
>destinations.  Also, each traffic holding time is also random.  Two ways I
>can go:
>
>1. Each traffic corresponds to an agent pair (traffic sitting on), like
>   "agent-gen.tcl" script, but the problem is a huge amount of agent pairs
>   have to be created and attached to nodes.  It probably exceeds the
>   limit of node's port number soon.  Seems impossible?

- if each pair has only a limited life time during the simulation you could
create them and destroy them as needed

>2. Using one traffic to simulate multiple traffics.  Only create one agent
>   (like UDP) and one traffic (like CBR) for each node, and manage to control
>   the traffic to start and stop randomly.  I need modify the traffic...

- this has the drawback (I think) of not permitting many flows to be simulated.

>Does anyone has the similar experience?  Which way is better? or some
>other better one? Any hints will be appreciated.

generating lots of trafic is not nearly as hard as finding a way to trace and
(post) process the traces efficiently... I would prefer 1) but it really depends
on what you want to evaluate.

>Bo Wen

Tarik