[ns] Bugs in NS and other questions...

I'm doing a summer internship for for this company called Digital
Fountain. Part of this is running some simulations in NS. I've run into
a couple of things, and was hopeing that someone out there could shed
some light on them.
 I believe that I have looked over the docs correctly. Tas the following
are either bugs in NS or simply things that don't seem to work for me.
Of course all of these bugs come under "NOTE: This section has not been
verified" sections in the manual, but if anyone could shed some light on
them that would be very helpful.
   First off, the manual talks about setting default values, the example
is:

Agent/TCP set window_ 30

However, if I try and use this with a Traffic/Pareto object such as:

Traffic/Pareto set rate 36000

It totally ignores the default values created and doesn't set them for
an object of that type. (It will set them on an object directly however,
and the Agent/TCP set window_ does seem to be working correctly)

Even more frustrating is the seeming lack of ability to connect the
Traffic object to an agent. Given in the docs to be:

$agent attach-traffic traffic-object

But totally not working when I do this:

set noiseServer [new Agent/TCP/Newreno]
$noiseServer attach-traffic [new Traffic/Pareto]

It says this:

    (_o45 cmd line 1)
    invoked from within
"_o45 cmd attach-traffic _o47"
    invoked from within
"catch "$self cmd $args" ret"
    (procedure "_o45" line 2)
    (SplitObject unknown line 2)
    invoked from within
"$noiseServer attach-traffic [new Traffic/Pareto]"
    (file "nsinput.tcl" line 116)
    while executing
"exec /home/wshaver/ns-2.1b5/ns nsinput.tcl > out.txt"
    (file "runexp" line 4)

Any help would be great, and if anything is unclear, just ask.
 -Will