[ns] ns-2 FAQ

            UCB/LBNL Network Simulator: Frequently Asked Questions

   (This FAQ is also on the web at
   http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-faq.html.)

     * _Where do I get ns?_

       From the ns web site at http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns.html and
       the download page http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-tests.html.

     * _What platforms does ns run on and what kind of hardware do I
       need?_

       Please see "where to start" on the building ns web page:
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-build.html#start.

     * _What should I do if I have trouble downloading/extracting ns?_

       This question is answered in detail at
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html#downloading.

     * _What should I do if I you encounter problems building ns?_

       Check:
         1. the README that comes in the distribution (very brief),
         2. the "installation problems, bug fixes and help" web page
            http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html,
         3. the archives of the ns-users mailing list
            http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html,
         4. post a question to the mailing list (see below).

     * _Where can I find documentation for ns?_

       All documentation is linked off the main ns web page
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/. Documentation includes a tutorial
       (originally from Marc Greis) and a reference manual (ns notes and
       documentation). There are also a large number of sample scripts
       included in the ns distribution in ~ns-2/tcl/ex and
       ~ns-2/tcl/test.

     * _What protocols does ns support?_

       A lot! Almost all variants of TCP, several forms of multicast,
       several ad hoc routing protocols and propagation models, and other
       stuff. See the documentation (described above) for details, or
       download ns and look.

     * _How do I know that ns correctly implements these protocols?_

       Ns has a validation tests that cover many protocols, see
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-tests.html. However, ultimately
       users are responsible for verifying that ns is accurate for their
       purposes---since we cannot foresee all the ways ns may be used, we
       cannot test all cases with all inputs.

     * _Are there any contributed/additional protocols not in the main
       distribution?_

       Yes, please see the contributed code web page
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-contributed.html. The mailing list
       archives can also be helpful (see below).

     * _How should I get started doing something (implementing a new
       protocol, trying an experiment)?_

       We recommend that you look through the tutorial (see
       documentation, above), then start with an example program that is
       most similar to yours (in the tutorial, or in tcl/ex or tcl/test
       in the distribution), and then start changing things.

     * _What should I do if the ns executable has its modification time
       in the future when I re-start my machine after shutdown?_

       We recommend that you talk to your local sysadmin since this
       indicates a clock difference between the file server and the
       client (this has nothing to do with ns).

     * _What should I do to complie ns to reflect my changes if I've
       modified some .cc or .h files?_

       go to ns directory and run "make" or "make depend"

     * _What if I have a question that's not answered here?_

       If you've checked the installation problems and bug fixes web page
       (http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html) and there's no
       answer to your question, you may want to post a question to the
       ns-user's mailing list.

       First, you should check the archive of the list at
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html. Your question may
       already be answered there.

       If not, you may wish to post to the list. First you should
       subscribe. Subscription instructions are at
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html.

       A reminder about mailing list etiquette:
          + Please check the web pages and list archives before posting
            your question.
          + Please keep the body of your post to simple ASCII, not HTML.
          + Before posting a question like "did people see my post" or
            "the list seems down", please check the archives.
          + Please don't post subscribe/unsubscribe requests directly to
            the list, send them to [email protected].