Re: [ns] Multi processor systems

>On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Mark Butler wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of running NS on a multi-processor computer.
>
>to what goal? the standard ns is single-threaded, so you're likely to
>load up a single processor and nothing else.
>
>I've had ns use 50% of the computing power of a dual-processor
>Sparc20, 25% of a 4-processor UltraSparc...

While no single ns job will use multiple CPUs, running multiple
independent ns jobs is a fine way to make use of CPUs.  (If you have
different parameters to explore, or you're running many iterations to
get good confidence intervals.)

Given that ns is not kernel-intensive (compared to, say, a web
server), it shouldn't matter what OS you chose (to a first order of
magnitude).

   -John Heidemann