[ns] threading accuracy -- timeouts

Just for the sake of my question, propose that you have an agent sending
packets at the request of several different timeouts -- 10 or more.
(perhaps you're developing a rythm where you send one packet every 1
second, one every 23 milliseconds one every 1.2 milliseconds etc.)
Suppose also that there is a special packet header with these files, and
that information gets put into these files depending on a boolean value
in the c++ code. Now if I switch that value while the program is
running, how accurate is the threading? Ie, if all of the packets sent
after a data switch are supposed to have that data switched, are there
going to be a few that don't make it with it? (Even one could be a big
issue.) Is the threading possibly calling the threads early, or do we
even know how accurate it is?

 -Will