[ns] nam: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

I am a new user of ns and I would really appreciate it
if you could help me figure out why my nam is not
working.  When I try to run any of the sample files
that come with nam, I get the following message:

nam: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment
variable

I have found an old posting back in April regarding
this same problem.  However, there wasn't any useful
replies to that posting.  If you happen to know what
the problem might be, please drop me a line.

Thanks a million!

Yi