[ns] TCP timeout pb

Hi all,

I am facing a comprehension problem with TCP timeouts. As TCP timeouts,
it calls the function TcpAgent::timeout() which then calls
TcpAgent::send_much(). Therefore TCP does not retransmit the packet that
triggered the timeout but a new one with a new packet id.

How can the receiver know that these two packets (the one that triggered
timeout and the one created) are duplicated? To my understanding in both
cases, the TCP sink increases the variable numBytes whereas it should
not as it is a duplicated packet! So how can we calculate the effective
amount of data received by the sink?

Could anyone please give a clue?
Thank you,

Fabienne